Make your own free website on Tripod.com

FIRE SAFETY

Electrical Safety

Home
How did fire come about?
WHAT IS FIRE?
FIRE- A friend or a fiend?
Tips to Prevent Fire
Children's Safety
Holiday Safety
Electrical Safety

The following suggestions can help prevent fires and avoid serious injury or death.

Appliances
Be sure to unplug all heat-producing appliances like coffee makers, broilers, toasters, irons and heaters when not in use to eliminate a potential fire hazard.
Heating pads and electric blankets can cause fires. Never roll an electric blanket and never leave a heating pad on for more than 30 minutes.
Make sure all appliances have the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) listing.
Operating or touching electrical appliances while standing or sitting in water can cause electrocution.
Avoid using blow dryers, curling irons, radios, televisions or electric razors around sinks or while in bathtubs.
After washing a car, do not use electric vacuum cleaners or buffers while in the wet area. Move the vehicle to a dry location before using any electrical appliances, to avoid a shock hazard.
Never stick metal objects or tools into an appliance unless it is unplugged.
Place all lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn and use bulbs that match the lamp's recommended wattage.

The bulbs of halogen torchiere floor lamps reach temperatures of 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit. This is heat that is intense enough to ignite wood, plastic or cloth on contact. Monitor the the use of these products closely, don't exceed wattage recommendations, and keep them clear of combustible materials. Even with a protective guard or grill placed over the bulb, these lamps pose a risk.

Extension Cords
Extension cords are designed for temporary use only. If you must use an extension cord, do not overload them with several appliances or use too many cords in one socket. Do not string multiple extension cords together.
Make sure you use the proper gauge extension cord for the equipment it is operating, especially with power tools and high-wattage appliances.
Avoid running extension cords under carpeting, rugs, through doorways or across walkways. To avoid tripping or electrical shorting hazards, protect cords routed across walkways with the proper shield.
Don’t staple to walls or ceilings, which can damage the insulation.
Electrical cords should be free of knots and kinks. Have damaged plugs and frayed or worn cords repaired immediately.
When using outdoor appliances, use only approved exterior extension cords, not the household type normally used indoors.

Wiring
Splicing into the main wiring system of a house with appliance-rated cord is very dangerous. Any electrical work should be done by a licensed electrician.
Circuit breakers are designed to prevent electrical overloads. Bypassing this safety device could cause a fire.

Outlets
Grounded (three-prong) outlets are by far safer than the two-prong outlets.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters are safety devices required on every outlet or outlet circuit within six feet of sinks. They are designed to reduce the risk of a shock injury occurring.
Avoid storing boxes or other combustible items in front of unused outlets in case a short or a malfunction should occur.
Use child protector plugs when outlets are not being used.

Switches
Be sure switches are rated for the proper amperage and voltage before installing.
Replace switches making arcing sounds.
Before performing any repairs or installations, be sure the circuit breaker is switched off for the circuit on which you are working.
Junction boxes and cover plates on wall outlets are necessary to avoid shorting hazards caused by foreign objects coming in contact with wiring or connections. Replace broken or cracked cover plates immediately.
If a short occurs in an outlet, be sure to shut off the power at the breaker before attempting to inspect or repair.
Surge protectors are recommended for use with computers and entertainment equipment, such as stereos and televisions.
Be sure to maintain a clearance space between furniture or other items and cords plugged into outlets.

Mail us if you need our professional help!!!